Champion Chase Stats
- Altior has never been beaten over 2 miles in a hurdle or chase
- Only one Irish trained winner in the last eight
- This century 45 runners have been aged older than 9 yrs. Only 3 winners, two of whom were regaining crown
- Sizing Europe only winner this century not to have won that season.
- Finians Rainbow only winner this century to have been BF last time out.
- Sprinter Sacre only winner this century not to have previous run after Jan 1st.
- All winners going back to 2008 had already won a G1
- 15 of the last 19 placed horses were already G1 winners.
- The last 21 had no more than 4 outings that season.
- Only one winner returned bigger than 11s since 1993.
- Only Badsworth Boy 1985 has won this three times.
Champion Chase Form
- Unlikely to be older than 9 unless previous winner.
- If a ten year old or older is priced under 10/1, to be placed.
- Will have won that season and should have been first, second, F or U last time.
- Has won over at least 2 miles 1 furlong.
- Has won a Grade 1 chase, is recently rated 160+ and had no more than 4 runs this season.
- Won’t be wearing blinkers and won’t be a mare.
- Will have won or been placed at the Festival before, a course winner or will never have been here before.
- Should have won 40% of completed NH starts and ran at least 7 times over fences.
- Ran since Boxing Day.
- If good ground race to be run in about 3 mins 51 secs.
- Not a beaten favourite last time.
- Last years Arkle winner to be placed.
Champion Chase Tips
Nothing between Defi & Chacun, they are the only contenders
If forced to pick I would go with Chacun, given that I love my Irish racing, and he already has the beating of Defi + has Leopardstown form (similar course to Cheltenham). Does not look a betting race but certainly an exciting matchup.